Monday, November 21, 2011

Gokart

This Is a gokart that I built last year. It started off during the summer of 2010 when I took summer school classes at the vocational school. I had welding in the morning and Small engines in the afternoon. In our small engines class the project was to put a gokart together out of a kit so that the school could sell it for fundraising or something. Halfway through the course, I had what i thought was an excused absence of a week (at the school, if you miss more than 3 days, they drop you). anyways, i came back after a week long marine biology escapade and was told that i was essintaily expelled. bummer. Having nothing better to do, iIwalked the 2 miles in the rain over to the schools main office. I spoke with the higher powers at work, and was re-enrolled on the premise that I would be auditing the class.

The small engines teacher said that there were no more gokart kits to put together, ("thank goodness" I thought to myself) so he gave me the project of making an old gokart new again. the poor thing had been sketichily extended and ruthlesly crashed, so I spent a week in welding making it stronger and closer to true. I then put a 1950's snowmachine engine on it. It worked great for about 10 minutes of burnouts and wheelies. The fun came to an end after a half inch shaft going into a lawnmower transmission that I had rigged up sheared. bummer. again. at the end of the course, the small engines teacher came up to me at the end of class and said, "well Dewane, you dont get a grade, but you get a gokart. get that hunk of junk out of here" anyways, I got a free gokart and engine and whatnot!  Ive looked for pictures of it in this stage, but cant find any.

At home, I rebuilt it all. the snowmachine engine got replaced by a 125cc, 4 speed transmission three wheeler engine. It also got bigger tires and an aluminum gas tank. Heres some photos and videos!

My Hi-Tech Paint Booth

My Hi-Tech frame straghtiner.
Done!
Driving around and popping wheelies!


Sadly, we took it off some jumps this summer and broke the axle. Its yet to be fixed!

No comments:

Post a Comment