Monday, November 21, 2011

Metal Art



Copper Bird

I built this out of some copper wire that I stripped. I think it was originally supposed to be a flower or something, but creativity happens

Railroad Spike Animals

I have a friend that used to be into making metal art. a few summers ago, he asked for my help getting this large piece of steel into his truck.I gladly agreed to help, and the next thing I knew, we were in a railroad yard with a large piece of half inch plate and five gallon buckets full of railroad spikes in the back of the truck. Cool!... right? Well apparently (according to the renta-cop) we didn't exactly have the permission to be there. long story short, we were told to put the plate back, but to take all the used spikes that we wanted. that summer, there was a plethora of railroad spike based art made, but this is all I could find around the house.




 



Globe Dude
I started taking a jewelry class this year in school, and this is one of the things that I have made. It started as just a brass ball, then it turned into a globe, then it turned into a goodie-box, then there was a copper-wire man to hold it. I made it by cutting out two brass circles, pounding those into hemispheres with dapping cubes. I then painted on the continents with tar, and submerged the globe in nitric acid. the acid dissolved the copper in the brass that wasn't covered with tar, essentially raising the continents. Finally, I put a band on the inside to hold the two halves together, yet still be able to open it.





Birthday Bird
I built this with my friends little brother for his sisters birthday. The bird is made of bicycle spokes, its supported by a piece of bike chain welded in place, and it all rests on a cut out of Alaska.

No comments:

Post a Comment